Tuesday 21 February 2012

A Blog about Graphic novels (Research I think so!)

Once or twice on the Blog Ive mentioned that Ive always wanted to make a Graphic Novel. The Idea for this was Sparked of from my Mums friends Husband called Ken who asked me one Christmas or  New year "So Tom When are you going to get these Comics together" something like that anyway. 


So for those of you who don't Know.......
What is a Graphic Novel?
From what I already a Graphic Novel is a Collection of Comic strips from Magazines or well "Comics" which are put together in the form of a Big hard back Book with Forward Interviews with the writers or Illustrators of the actual Comics and occasionally some development work in the last few pages of the Book. But that not always the case back in Summer 2011 I stumbled across a Graphic novel called A.L.I.E.E.E.N (Archive of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions  of Extraterrestrial Novelties) In a second hand bookshop in Whitby.
alieeen cover  
The book was created by French writer and illustrator "Lewis Trondheim". A.L.I.E.E.E.N is aimed for Children (from an other planet so basically Alien Children) But there some quite graphic scenes which I think are made for a Mature audience take this Scene for example where a Small Yellow chap/chapette is taking his Dog for a walk and then his/her dog gauges its eyes out by walking In to some thorns!
Im sorry but If I was a Kid and I was reading this book Id probably be traumatised by these Images. Im starting to sound a bit like an Upper class parent now (which god knows Ill probably end up like one). If you think thats bad later on In the book the little dog creature starts to create a "trail" of his own Faeces Eww. So Ideally Graphic Novels are really Aimed for Teenagers or a Much Adult audience and me (I like to read books with Pictures see if I read normal books with out Pictures then occasionally I get bored or lost in a sea of words). The Watchmen is a Good example of a Graphic Novel aimed for a Mature audience although Ive never actually had a good look at It all the way through and Ive not even seen the Film all the way through :/

Graphic Novels which I am Inspired By
The First actual Graphic Novel I owned was a Collaboration of Tom and Jerry comics which I got after losing a Tooth as a Kid. Asides from having pictures of Tom and Jerry in Gaudy 90s shell suits and other 90s fashions there are some good Stories including one there Tom and Jerry and Jerrys nephew (Tuffy was It!?) are fighting over the Television remote, A story where Tom Uses a Robot cat to chase Jerry and a nice one where Jerry tries to steal a Cheese burger from Toms master but they end up sharing the Cheese burger which I really Liked as Kid So then again not all Graphic novels are aimed for Teenagers there aimed for little kiddie winks aswell.

Dragon-ball Is another Graphic novel I was (and still am) Inspired by. The graphics and Visuals seem Innocent enough but there still some adult elements such as the Fact in one story the main character "Goku" Punches a hole through a Bad guys head and you see his willy a couple of times. And there's also Master Roshi who is a bit of a pervert and Is always getting Goku to go off and find him a Girlfriend (Master Roshi lives in a house on a desert Island see)     
But bare in Mind Dragon ball is written (and illustrated) by a Japanese person (Akira Toriyama) so the Humour is going to be different to us western folk, Ok the Blogs going great I think. Another Graphic novel from the Far East Im inspired by Is Gon or Gon the Little Dinosaur as I like to call him.
The Thing thats makes Gon so Unique is that there's no words or speech bubbles Its just Pictures and damn good pictures might I just add. The Next Graphic Novel I want to talk about is one I got for Christmas well I got 2 Graphic novels but I mainly want to talk about "The Death Ray".   

The Death Ray tells the story of Andy a kid who get super strength from the nicotine is Cigarettes and is armed with a Death-ray which his father made before he died Its does get a bit depressing later on. 
The Death-Ray started out in David Clowes own comic "Eightball" back in Summer of 2004 It was then published by "Drawn & Quarterly" as a hard cover graphic novel in October 2011 which I like because It feels like one of those Yearly Annuals I used to get as a Kid

If given a chance to Make a Graphic Novel what would It be about
Well I guess If did my own Graphic novel It would be about my original character "Tom-Man" going on adventures with his friends and maybe throw in some puzzles at the back. 
I want to try and aim Tom-Man at a sort of Family audience the Tom-Man Comics I did in 2010 were a tad violent and has abit of swearing In it aswell I might show you them one day. Another reason I want to drift Tom-Man towards the Family audience is because my Family like Tom-Man and so do my friends, in fact most of the Characters (minus the Villains) of Tom-Man are based on People I know. I have to decide now whether or not Tom-Man should start life in an already existing Comic publisher e.g 2000AD or DC Thomson. Or Find a Publisher and just make a graphic novel.

I think the next blog I will do will be research into publishers See you then! 
       

No comments:

Post a Comment