Tuesday 13 December 2011

Origins of Skully (a development entry)

Ah Skully hes changed a lot In last 3 months but where did the Ideas of Skully come from well Its not a very long story. 


It all started back in Summer with the original concept of Monsterology which was called "Boken skull" (bok(u), "wood", and ken, "sword") (or commonly as bokutō in Japan) here some of the Early designs for Skully.
So yeah heres the plot I thought up for "Boken skull" hang about Is that Quagsire!? 
Plot/Synopsis whatever!
Boken Skull tells the tale of a Robot with a metal skull for his body who roamed a Retro futurism city and battled a different monster  every week as well as trying to lead a “normal life”. I scraped this idea but kept the synopsis for Monsterology.

The Idea for Boken Skull came from this article on Weirdo toys.com heres a link. http://www.weirdotoys.com/2011/06/17/omfg/

The one guy that inspired me was “MultiSkull” (the character on the bottom left) just the whole Idea of a monster made up of human skulls inspires me and also I've always seemed to like skeletons I think it might be because I watched “Funny bones” when I was little.

MultiSkull made me think of an other character and that character is the 1976 anime robot "Gaiking" let me tell you a bit about Gaiking. 
Created by the Toei animation company back in the 1976, Gaiking tells the Story of Former Baseball star “Aries Astronopolis” who gets his pitching hand broken from a failed assassination attempt from a race of Aliens called the “Dark horror army”. who want to take over earth and make it there home for there race as there home planet Zela is facing destruction by a black hole.  “Professor Hi-Tech” employs Aries and wants him to Pilot the Giant robot “Gaiking” and battle the Dark horror army.
There are Rumours of a Gaiking Movie which is to be released in 2012. I guess it would makes a change from the Transformers movies In fact heres the trailer.

So thats how Skully came to be! The next blog I shall do will be about a Sketch pad I did in the Summer Holidays see you then!     
             

No comments:

Post a Comment